Tobacco Manufacturer Permit
Apply for a Tobacco Manufacturer Permit. Tobacco manufacturers need the permit to manufacture tobacco products for distribution, sale or storage in Nova Scotia. The permit is valid for 1 year.
By law, tobacco manufacturers must have a Tobacco Manufacturer Permit to manufacture tobacco products for distribution, sale or storage in Nova Scotia.
You need to:
- be a tobacco manufacturer
- have a Tobacco Wholesale Vendor's Permit before you can get a Tobacco Manufacturer Permit (you can apply for both permits at the same time)
- be in compliance with Registry of Joint Stock Companies
How to apply
- Apply online for the permit.
- Submit your completed application.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the permit. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the permit, but a deposit may be required as specified by legislation.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- estimated annual quantity of tobacco products your company handles in Nova Scotia
- location and contact person for each distribution centre if there is more than one (for unstamped tobacco, you need information on the distribution centres within Nova Scotia only)
- your tax numbers in other jurisdictions
- your Tobacco Retail Vendor’s Permit number, if you have one
You can use the Tobacco Tax – Permit Application Form (PDF 568 kB) if you’re unable to apply online. Send your completed application and payment by mail. Or drop them off at the Business Registration Unit.
You need to renew your Tobacco Manufacturer Permit each year. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
The permit will not be renewed if you have any outstanding accounts with the Government of Nova Scotia.