Tobacco Wholesale Vendor’s Permit
Apply for a Tobacco Wholesale Vendor’s Permit. You need the permit to sell, store and distribute tobacco products to retailers. The permit is valid for 1 year.
By law, you must have a Tobacco Wholesale Vendor’s Permit to sell, store and distribute tobacco products to retailers.
You need to be in compliance with Registry of Joint Stock Companies.
How to apply
- Apply online for the permit.
- Submit your completed application.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the permit. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the permit, but a deposit may be required as specified by legislation.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- estimated annual quantity of tobacco products handled in Nova Scotia
- location and contact person for each distribution centre for tobacco
- your tax numbers in other jurisdictions
- your Tobacco Retail Vendor’s Permit number, if you have one
You can use the Tobacco Tax – Permit Application Form (PDF 273 kB) if you’re unable to apply online. Send your completed application by mail. Or drop it off at the Business Registration Unit.
You need to renew your Tobacco Wholesale Vendor’s Permit each year. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
The permit will not be renewed if you have any outstanding accounts with the Government of Nova Scotia.