Enroll in the Retired Employee Health Plan
Apply to enroll in retired employee group health benefits for you, your eligible spouse and any eligible dependent children if you’re a retired employee of the Government of Nova Scotia.
Use the Application for Retired Employee Group Health Benefits Form to enroll in the Retired Employee Health Plan.
You can apply for the Retired Employee Health Plan if you’re an eligible retired employee of the Government of Nova Scotia and you’re in receipt of the Public Service Superannuation Pension.
Eligible retired employees include:
- retired civil service employees
- retired Order in Council and ministerial appointees
- retired members of the Executive Council
- retired Members of the Legislative Assembly
- retired employees of participating member employers
- retired members of the NSGEU Civil Service Bargaining Unit
- retired members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1867 – Nova Scotia Highway Worker’s Union
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Send your completed application by email, mail or fax.
How long it takes
Coverage is effective from the date the Benefits Unit receives your request. It should take Medavie Blue Cross 3 to 4 days to update your coverage. You’ll receive a new Blue Cross identification card at your home address 2 to 3 weeks from the date you submitted your request. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply, but there are premiums associated with participating in the Retired Employee Health Plan.
Premiums are deducted from your pension payment.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- retiree identification number or date of birth
- reviewed and understood the information on eligible dependents or additional approvals required for dependents (for example, disabled dependents or grandchildren)
- information on other insurer if you or your dependents have other coverage under any other insurer
- Medavie Blue Cross
- Submit a claim to Medavie Blue Cross
- Special Dependent Questionnaire
- Blue Advantage Savings (discount program) - Medavie Blue Cross
- Health and Dental Plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Apply for health and dental coverage for an over age dependent child
- Health plan benefits for government retirees
- Health and Dental Plan Contract
- Cancel your retired employee benefits or make changes to the status of your benefits