Cancel your retired employee benefits or make changes to the status of your benefits
Cancel your Retired Employee Health Plan and life insurance or make changes to the status of your plans if you’re a Government of Nova Scotia retiree who receives the Public Service Superannuation Plan.
Use the Retired Employees Benefits Change Request Form to cancel your health and life insurance plans or make changes to the status of your plans if you’re a Government of Nova Scotia retiree who receives the Public Service Superannuation Plan.
Government of Nova Scotia retirees who receive the Public Service Superannuation Plan and have insurance coverage under the Retired Employee Health and Life Insurance Plan can use this form to:
- reduce basic or optional life insurance
- cancel health insurance or basic or optional life insurance
- change health insurance from single to family or vice versa
- update the list of eligible dependents covered by the health insurance
Blue Cross identification cards
When applicable, Medavie Blue Cross will mail you a new Blue Cross identification card. Medavie Blue Cross doesn’t mail new identification cards for address changes or re-instatements.
Cancelling or reducing your life insurance
If you cancel or reduce your life insurance coverage, you can’t re-enroll in or increase the amounts of your basic or optional life insurance at a later date.
Who can use this form
You need to use this form if you receive the Public Service Superannuation Plan and you’re enrolled in the Government of Nova Scotia Retired Employee Health Plan and Life Insurance Plan and want to cancel your health and life insurance benefits or make changes to the status of your plans.
What you need to do
- Complete the change request form.
- Send your completed form by mail.
How long it takes
Changes and cancellations are effective on the date the Benefits Unit receives your form or on your retirement date, whichever is later. It should take Medavie Blue Cross 3 to 4 days to change your health coverage. You’ll receive a new Blue Cross identification card at your home address 2 to 3 weeks from the date you submitted your request. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
For changes, premium payments are deducted from your pension payment. When you cancel, premium payments will no longer be deducted from your pension payment.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- reviewed the My Benefits at Retirement Guide and completed the worksheet
- retiree or employee identification number
- information on other insurer if you or your dependents have other health coverage under any other insurer
- Enroll in the Retired Employee Health Plan
- Apply for health and dental coverage for an over age dependent child
- Medavie Blue Cross
- Submit a claim to Medavie Blue Cross
- Special Dependent Questionnaire - Medavie Blue Cross
- Blue Advantage Savings (discount program) - Medavie Blue Cross
- Life insurance and health plan benefits at retirement: guide for government employees
- Health and Dental Plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Basic and optional life benefit plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Health plan benefits for government retirees