Apply for health and dental coverage for an over age dependent child
You can apply for health and dental coverage for your dependent child if they’re between the ages of 21 and 24, unmarried, unemployed and attending an accredited school, college or university on a full-time basis. You need to be enrolled in the Government of Nova Scotia Health and Dental Plan to provide coverage to your dependent child.
Use the Over Age Dependent Application for Health and Dental Coverage Form to apply for health and dental coverage for your dependent child.
Government of Nova Scotia employees and retirees can apply for health and dental coverage for a dependent child.
The dependent child needs to be:
- between the ages of 21 and 24
- attending an accredited school, college or university on a full-time basis
You need to apply each school year for each of your eligible, over age dependent children until they’re no longer students or turn 25, whichever comes first. A school year is 01 September to 31 August.
If you don’t apply each school year, your child’s coverage will end the day they turn 21 or at the end of each approved school year.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Send your completed application by mail, fax or email.
How long it takes
Changes are effective from the date the Benefits Unit receives your application. It should take the Benefits Unit 3 to 4 days to process your application. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- employee or retiree payroll number
- start and end dates for your dependent child’s school term
- Medavie Blue Cross
- Submit a claim to Medavie Blue Cross
- Special Dependent Questionnaire - Medavie Blue Cross
- Blue Advantage Savings (discount program) - Medavie Blue Cross
- Benefits for government employees
- Health and Dental Plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Health and Dental Plan Contract