Collector Licence (for individuals)
Apply for a Collector Licence. You need the licence if you’re employed by a collection agency to trace debtors or collect debt in Nova Scotia on behalf of other companies.
By law, you must have a Collector Licence if you’re employed by a collection agency to trace debtors or collect money from debtors in Nova Scotia on behalf of other companies.
If you’re the manager of a collection agency or a branch location, you need to get a Collector Licence, as well as successfully complete the manager’s exam (75% is the pass mark). The application to write the exam is part of the Collector Licence application process.
If you aren’t a manager, you don’t have to write the manager’s exam, but you still have to get a Collector Licence.
You need to be 19 or older to apply. Your employer needs to have the Collection Agency Licence.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail or fax.
- Licence is sent to your employer.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the licence (sent to your employer). It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque, money order. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- signature of your employer, who needs to be an officer (or designate) of a licensed collection agency
- business operating name and address of your employer
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies number of your employer
- your 3-year employment history
You also need to provide details if you have:
- been licensed under any federal or provincial statute
- had a licence refused, suspended or revoked
- been involved in a personal or corporate bankruptcy
- unpaid judgments outstanding
- been convicted of an offence and not been pardoned
The collection agency needs to renew your Collector Licence by April 30 each year. They should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. Renewal of the individual collector is at the discretion of the collection agency.