Collection Agency Licence
Apply for a Collection Agency Licence. You need the licence to employ people to collect debt in Nova Scotia on behalf of other companies. Businesses collecting their own debt do not need to be licensed as a collection agency.
By law, collection agencies must have a Collection Agency Licence to employ people to collect debt in Nova Scotia on behalf of other companies. Businesses collecting their own debt do not need to be licensed as a collection agency.
You need to become licensed in Nova Scotia before you can collect debts in the province, even if you’re already licensed in another province. Collection agencies don’t need to have a place of business in Nova Scotia. Collection can take place from outside the province, but must take place from within Canada.
Your company needs to be registered with Registry of Joint Stock Companies. Your company also needs to collect debt in Nova Scotia on behalf of other companies.
How to apply
- Apply online for the licence.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Submit your completed application, supporting documents and payment.
- Send your original surety bond by mail. Or drop it off at the Business Licensing Section.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|Licence (includes your first branch)||$464.75|
|Licence (each additional branch)||$165.70|
|Licence renewal (includes your first branch)||$464.75|
|Licence renewal (each additional branch)||$165.70|
Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), debit card.
When you pay online you need to pay the fee by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard).
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Registry ID for the business (from Registry of Joint Stock Companies)
- 3-year employment history for partners, officers and directors
- name and address of responsible agent for all branches
- name, address, position of all partners and officers
You also need to provide details if any partner, officer or director has:
- had a licence refused, suspended or revoked
- been convicted of an offence and not been pardoned
You need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- original surety bond in the amount of $20,000
- sample of each form or agreement the agency will use when entering into agreements with its clients, including the fees to be charged
- sample of each notice or letter the collection agency will use to collect debt
When you apply online you need to create an account or sign in.
You need to renew your Collection Agency Licence by 30 April each year. You should get a renewal notice (including a list of your employed licensed collectors) before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.