Caterer Extension (eating establishment)

Apply for a Caterer Extension. Eating establishments need a Caterer Extension to serve alcohol at an offsite event they’re catering.

By law, eating establishments must have a Caterer Extension to serve alcohol at an offsite event they’re catering.

Your responsibilities

With the Caterer Extension, you need to follow the regulations for an eating establishment, including these rules:

  • you can only serve a customer the amount of alcohol they would normally drink with a meal
  • you have to serve the customer the amount of food a person would normally eat as a meal if you’re also serving them alcohol
  • you can’t serve alcohol in the holding area of an eating establishment


You need a Permanent Liquor Licence (eating establishment) to apply.

You need to submit your application at least 5 business days before the event.

How to apply

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  3. Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.

How long it takes

It should take 1 week to get the extension. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


There is no cost to apply for the extension.

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • Permanent Liquor Licence (eating establishment)
  • signature of restaurant manager

You may also need:

  • Special Occasion Liquor Licence (class 4) for private functions and community fundraisers
  • Special Premises Liquor Licence for premises, like hotel function rooms, boats and community facilities that don’t qualify for any other liquor licence (if you need the Special Premises Liquor Licence Form, contact the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division)

Application form


You can’t renew your Caterer Extension, but you can apply for a new one.