Application to Director to end tenancy (lease) because of unpaid rent (Form K)
Apply to the Director of Residential Tenancies to collect unpaid rent and end a tenant’s lease without participating in a hearing or mediation with the tenant.
Use Form K: Application to Director – Rental Arrears to collect unpaid rent and end a tenant’s lease without participating in a hearing or mediation with the tenant.
You can only use Form K if you already served your tenant with Form D: Notice to Quit for Rental Arrears. You need to have served Form D 15 days before you submit Form K. You can’t use Form K if the tenant:
- pays the rent within 15 days of receiving Form D
- has applied to the director with Form J to have Form D set aside
How to apply
- Complete the first 2 pages of the application form.
- Take your completed application, a copy of Form D you served on your tenant and the payment to Access Nova Scotia.
- At Access Nova Scotia, fill out Form L1: Certificate of Service.
- Access Nova Scotia gives you a copy of Form K for you to serve on your tenant.
- You or your representative need to serve Form K to the same tenant you served Form D to.
- After your tenant has been served, return to Access Nova Scotia and complete pages F3 and F4 on Form K and complete another Form L1: Certificate of Service.
- Access Nova Scotia processes Form K and assigns it a residential tenancy officer.
- The residential tenancy officer reviews Form K and renders a decision (Order of the Director). The decision (Order of the Director) is mailed to the applicant and tenant.
How long it takes
It should take 1 week to receive a decision (Order of the Director). It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- tenant’s name, address, phone number and email address
- date Form D was served on the tenant
- date to end the tenancy
- copy of Form D
- term of lease
- amount of rent due each week or month
- amount of rent paid since Form D was served
- date tenant moved in and out
- amount of security deposit and date paid