Vendor Permit to sell gasoline, diesel oil and propane at the retail level: Fuel Tax Application

Apply for a Vendor Permit. Fuel retailers need a permit to sell gasoline, diesel oil and propane.

By law, fuel retailers must have a Vendor Permit to sell gasoline, diesel oil and propane. The permit is valid for 3 years.

This permit legally ties the fuel retailer to a wholesale supplier of gasoline, propane and diesel oil. The wholesaler must collect tax from the fuel retailer and remit it to the government.


Fuel retailers can apply. As a fuel retailer, you must be in compliance with the Registry of Joint Stock Companies.

If you’re a gas and diesel oil retailer, you need a Motive Fuel Retailer Approval number.

If you’re a propane retailer, you also need a Fuel Safety (Company) Licence.

How to apply

  1. Check that the fuel wholesaler supplying you with fuel is a licensed fuel wholesaler in Nova Scotia.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. Send your completed application by mail. Or drop it off at the Business Registration Unit.
  4. Once you receive the permit, put it on the wall of your establishment.

How long it takes

It should take 2 weeks to get the permit. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


There is no cost to apply for the permit.

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • Business Number from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
  • registration number from the Registry of Joint Stock Companies

Application form


You need to renew your Vendor Permit every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail a month before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.