Law, justice and safety

Consumer protection

Buying from a direct seller: your rights

Your rights when buying from a direct seller, like telemarketers, door-to-door salespeople and home party hosts.

Collection agencies: your rights

Rules that collection agencies need to follow when they contact you to collect money that you owe.

Condominium dispute resolution

How to handle condominium disputes between condominium unit owners, tenants or condominium corporations.

Condominium owners: your rights and responsibilities

Your rights and responsibilities as a condominium owner.

Consumer loans: your rights

Your rights when you get a consumer loan.

Consumer rights

Your rights as a consumer and how you’re protected under the Consumer Protection Act.

Credit reports: your rights

Rules credit bureaus must follow when collecting and distributing consumer credit information.

Funeral expenses: your rights

Protections that are in place around costs when you buy funeral services or goods.

Make a complaint about a business

Make a complaint about a business licensed by the Department of Service Nova Scotia if you feel you’ve been treated unfairly by a business and the problem isn’t resolved.

Mortgages: your rights

Your rights when getting and paying back a mortgage.

Payday loans: your rights

How you’re protected when you get a payday loan.

Pre-arranged funeral and pre-need cemetery plans: your rights

Your rights when buying pre-arranged funeral and pre-need cemetery plans from funeral homes and cemeteries.

Pre-arranged funeral plans: guide for consumers

Protections when you buy a pre-arranged funeral plan to make sure you get the goods and services you’ve paid for.

Criminal record disclosure

Apply for a Child Abuse Register search

The Child Abuse Register contains the names of people that the provincial court or family court has found to have caused harm to a child. You can apply for a Child Abuse Register search to confirm that your name isn’t in the register.


911 emergency: when to call

Call 911 if your health, safety or property is threatened and you need help right away.

911 notification forms for fire departments

Collection of forms fire departments need to use to notify 911 when they make changes that affect emergency response.

Disaster financial assistance for wildfires

Collection of forms that residential property owners and tenants, small businesses and non-profits need to use to apply for disaster financial assistance for damage or loss from wildfires.

State of local emergency: forms and documents

Collection of forms and documents municipalities need when declaring, renewing or ending a state of local emergency.


Disciplinary action notices for liquor and gaming licence holders

List of liquor and gaming licence holders that received disciplinary action notices from the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.

Hearing and enforcement action notices for cemeteries and funeral homes

List of cemeteries and funeral homes that received hearing and enforcement action notices from the Business Licensing Division.

Public safety

Office of the Fire Marshal: forms and licences

Collection of forms that fire departments, insurance companies and fire extinguisher servicing companies need to use for fire reporting and fire extinguisher licences.

Reporting crimes

Report child abuse or neglect

If you suspect a child is being abused or neglected, contact the child welfare agency in the area where the child lives.

More information

We’re working on adding more information. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, visit the old website.