Ticket Lottery Licence: raffles with prizes over $4,000
Apply for a Ticket Lottery Licence. Charities, religious organizations and non-profit community organizations need the licence to run a ticket raffle with total prizes valued at over $4,000.
By law, charities, religious organizations and non-profit community organizations must have a Ticket Lottery Licence to run a ticket lottery with total prizes valued at over $4,000.
The raffle can be a single ticket draw or a series of draws. For a single draw, the licence is valid until the draw date. For a series of draws, the licence is valid for a set period of time (normally no longer than 1 year).
With a Ticket Lottery Licence, you need to submit a Ticket Lottery Report for raffles with prizes over $4,000.
You need to be 19 or older and authorized by the charitable, religious or non-profit community organization to apply.
You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before the first day of ticket sales.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
- You may also need to complete an interview and provide additional information if asked by the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost for the licence, but you need to pay a fee when you submit the Ticket Lottery Report.
Visa, MasterCard, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- have a copy of the games list and house rules
- have a copy of official rules and a sample entry form if the application is for a sports pool
First-time applicants may also need to provide a copy of:
- Certificate of Registration
- memorandum of association
- list of executives and positions held
You may need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- mandate or mission of your organization to verify charitable or religious status
- resolution confirming mandate or mission of your organization
You need to renew your Ticket Lottery Licence (series) every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
You can’t renew your Ticket Lottery Licence (single), but you can apply for a new one.