Terminate (end) your domestic partnership
Apply to terminate (end) your domestic partnership.
Use the Certificate Application Domestic Partnership – Statement of Termination Form to terminate (end) your domestic partnership.
You or your partner can apply to terminate (end) your domestic partnership if you meet 1 of the following criteria:
- one of you marries someone else
- live separate and apart for more than a year and file an affidavit (only one partner needs to sign the affidavit)
- live apart for under a year and both partners sign an affidavit
- file a separation agreement with the court under section 52 of the Parenting and Support Act
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail. Visit Vital Statistics or drop them off at Access Nova Scotia.
- Vital Statistics records in the registry that the domestic partnership has been terminated (ended) as of a specific date. The Declaration of Domestic Partnership remains permanently in the registry.
How long it takes
It should take 2 to 3 weeks to terminate (end) the domestic partnership. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|Termination of Domestic Partnership Registration||$24.95|
|Termination of Domestic Partnership Certificate||$33.00|
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.