Terminate (end) your domestic partnership

Apply to terminate (end) your domestic partnership.

Use the Domestic Partnership Application Form to terminate (end) your domestic partnership.


You or your partner can apply to terminate (end) your domestic partnership if you meet 1 of the following criteria:

  • 1 of you marries someone else
  • you live separate and apart for more than a year and file an affidavit (only 1 partner needs to sign the affidavit)
  • you live apart for less than a year and both partners sign an affidavit
  • you file a separation agreement with the court under section 52 of the Parenting and Support Act

How to apply

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  3. Include payment with your application.
  4. Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail. Or contact Vital Statistics to book an appointment.
  5. Vital Statistics records in the registry that the domestic partnership has been terminated (ended) as of a specific date. The Declaration of Domestic Partnership remains permanently in the registry.

How long it takes

It should take 4 to 6 weeks to terminate (end) the domestic partnership. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


Activity Fee
Termination of Domestic Partnership Registration $24.95
Termination of Domestic Partnership Certificate $33.00

See all fees for Vital Statistics certificates, licences and services.

Payment options

Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.

Application form