Register your domestic partnership
Register your domestic partnership to get many of the same rights and obligations as married couples. Two people in a conjugal relationship who wish to formalize their relationship may make a declaration of domestic partnership.
Use the Declaration of Domestic Partnership Form to register your domestic partnership.
Two people in a conjugal relationship who wish to formalize their relationship may make a declaration of domestic partnership.
To register a domestic partnership, both you and your partner need to:
- live in a conjugal relationship
- want to form a domestic partnership
- be 19 or older
- have lived in Nova Scotia for at least 3 months immediately before registering your domestic partnership or own real estate in Nova Scotia
- not be married
- not be in another domestic partnership
How to register
- Complete the registration form.
- Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your form.
- Send your completed form, supporting documents and payment by mail or fax. Or contact Vital Statistics to book an appointment.
How long it takes
It should take 2 to 3 months to get the Declaration of Domestic Partnership (registration document). It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- proof of age for each person (government-issued identification, Birth Certificate or passport)
- proof of residency for each person (government-issued identification, Health Card or proof of ownership of real estate in Nova Scotia)
- proof of divorce (Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute), if either person is divorced
- proof of death (Death Certificate, Statement of Death or obituary notice), if either person is widowed
- signatures of both partners
- signature of witness