Register as a vehicle appraiser
Register as a vehicle appraiser with the Provincial Tax Commission. A licensed dealer is automatically recognized as a vehicle appraiser.
Use the Used Vehicle Appraiser Registration Form to register as a vehicle appraiser with the Provincial Tax Commission. When a registered appraiser performs an appraisal on a used vehicle, the valuation can be used instead of the Red Book value to determine the fair market value.
Only a registered appraiser is eligible to sign an appraisal.
You need to notify the Provincial Tax Commission immediately if your business is permanently closed or sold, or if you change the name of your business.
You can’t transfer your appraiser registration number to someone else. The registration number can only be used by the person named on the registration form.
Your registration as a vehicle appraiser can be suspended or cancelled if:
- these terms are not followed
- your appraisals don’t represent fair market value
You need to renew your Vehicle Appraiser Registration every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
You can register as a used vehicle appraiser if you have at least 1 of the following:
- Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Inspection Station Licence number
- Nova Scotia Insurance Adjuster (Level III or IV) Licence number
- Nova Scotia Certificate of Qualification number for automotive service technician, motorcycle mechanic, truck and transport mechanic or motor vehicle body repairer
- Nova Scotia Automotive Insurance Appraiser Association Certificate
If more than 1 person wants to be a registered appraiser, each person needs to fill out a separate form.
How to register
- Complete the registration form.
- Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed form and supporting documents by mail.
How long it takes
It should take 2 to 3 weeks to get your registration certificate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to register.