Register a limited liability partnership
Limited liability partnerships need to register with Registry of Joint Stock Companies to operate in Nova Scotia. The liability of partners in a limited liability partnership is limited to some degree.
Register your limited liability partnership.
Limited liability partnerships need to register to operate in Nova Scotia.
The liability of partners in a limited liability partnership is limited to some degree. This type of partnership can only be formed by lawyers or chartered professional accountants.
These professions need to meet the insurance requirements of their governing bodies to register a limited liability partnership.
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Limited liability partnerships need to register to operate in Nova Scotia. Only lawyers or chartered professional accountants can form a limited liability partnership.
How to register
- Reserve a name for your limited liability partnership (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the Limited Liability Partnership Registration Form online.
- Check the registration form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your registration.
- Submit your completed registration, supporting documents and payment.
- If you meet all the requirements, Registry of Joint Stock Companies issues a Certificate of Registration and Business Number.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get the Certificate of Registration and Business Number. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your registration hasn’t been filled in correctly.
It may take longer than usual to process your request.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Interac® Online, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you register.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your limited liability partnership from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- name and address of recognized agent
- Statement from Governing Body of your profession confirming eligibility and liability insurance
- 2 partners (individuals, not companies, who are both Nova Scotia residents) available to sign the form, including an officer or director on behalf of each corporate partner
When you register online you need to create an account or sign in. You also need to upload any supporting documents in PDF format, including required signatures and Statement from Governing Body.
You can use the Application for Registration of a Limited Liability Partnership Form (PDF 30 kB) if you’re unable to register online. Send your completed registration and payment by mail. Or visit Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.
You need to renew your registration every year. You should get a renewal notice by mail or email before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.