Place of Amusement Licence: movie theatres and drive-ins

Apply for a Place of Amusement Licence. Movie theatres and drive-in theatres need the licence to operate.

By law, movie theatres and drive-ins must have a Place of Amusement Licence to operate. It’s your responsibility to purchase appropriate liability insurance.


You need a Place of Amusement Licence if you operate a movie theatre or drive-in.

How to apply

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  3. Include payment with your application.
  4. Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.

How long it takes

It should take 2 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


Activity Fee
3-year licence (film theatre) $398.10
3-year licence (drive-in theatre) $198.90

Payment options

Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • Registry of Joint Stock Companies number
  • capacity of the premises
  • date the premises were last inspected by fire official

You also need to provide details if you or any partner or officer has been:

  • convicted or pardoned for an offence in any country, province or state
  • disciplined by any professional or occupational association or society

You may need to provide additional supporting documents including a copy of the most recent fire inspection report.

Application form


You need to renew your Place of Amusement Licence every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.