Place of Amusement Licence: movie theatres and drive-ins
Apply for a Place of Amusement Licence. Movie theatres and drive-in theatres need the licence to operate.
By law, movie theatres and drive-ins must have a Place of Amusement Licence to operate. It’s your responsibility to purchase appropriate liability insurance.
You need a Place of Amusement Licence if you operate a movie theatre or drive-in.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|3-year licence (film theatre)||$398.10|
|3-year licence (drive-in theatre)||$198.90|
Visa, MasterCard, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies number
- capacity of the premises
- date the premises were last inspected by fire official
You also need to provide details if you or any partner or officer has been:
- convicted or pardoned for an offence in any country, province or state
- disciplined by any professional or occupational association or society
You may need to provide additional supporting documents including a copy of the most recent fire inspection report.
You need to renew your Place of Amusement Licence every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.