Permanent Liquor Licence
Apply for a Permanent Liquor Licence. Businesses, societies and non-profits need the licence to serve alcohol by the glass. Types of Permanent Liquor Licences include eating establishment, lounge, beverage room and cabaret.
By law, businesses, societies and non-profits must have a Permanent Liquor Licence to sell alcohol by the glass.
Type of licence
When you apply for a Permanent Liquor Licence, you need to indicate the type of licence you’re applying for.
Types you can apply for include:
- eating establishment
- eating establishment and lounge
- lounge (if you already have an eating establishment liquor licence)
- beverage room
You need to be 19 or older and authorized by the organization to apply. The organization needs to be the owner or leaseholder of the proposed premises.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Get the form notarized by a justice of the peace, commissioner of oaths or at the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
- The Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division lets you know if a public consultation is required.
- An Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division compliance officer inspects the premises (before issuing the licence).
- The Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division notifies both you and the Nova Scotia Liquor Commission (NSLC) when the licence is issued. NSLC provides you with a 6-digit account number to use when placing your orders.
How long it takes
It should take 6 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|Type of licence||Application||3-year licence||Total|
|Eating Establishment Liquor Licence||$311.45||$560.70||$872.15|
|Eating Establishment Liquor Licence and Lounge Liquor Licence||$622.90||$1,121.40||$1,744.30|
|Lounge Liquor Licence (you must already have an Eating Establishment Licence)||$311.45||$560.70||$872.15|
|Beverage Room Liquor Licence||$311.45||$560.70||$872.15|
|Cabaret Liquor Licence||$311.45||$1,869.00||$2,180.45|
Visa, MasterCard, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
You need to renew your Permanent Liquor Licence every 3 years. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.