Douglas MacKenzie was appointed Fire Marshal for the Government of Nova Scotia in July 2022.
Doug spent 15 years in the construction industry before starting his public service in municipal government in 2005. He joined the Office of the Fire Marshal in 2011, serving as a deputy fire marshal before being appointed assistant fire marshal in September 2015.
Doug holds a number of certifications in both the inspection and investigation fields and has more than 22 years in fire service.
RoleThe fire marshal is responsible for the leadership, direction and management of the Office of the Fire Marshal, and for the implementation of strategies, policies and programs to meet statutory mandates. The fire marshal is the principal advisor to government on building and fire safety.
- enforcing compliance with the Fire Safety Act
- designing, developing and implementing a comprehensive fire and building safety model
- directing and managing stakeholder relations
- leading policy and program development in support of the legislated mandate
- ruling on appeals on orders written by fire officials
- Acting Fire Marshal, Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Assistant Fire Marshal, Department of Municipal Affairs
- Deputy Fire Marshal, Department of Labour and Advanced Education