Pay a privilege reinstatement fee: Registry of Motor Vehicles
You need to pay a privilege reinstatement fee if you didn’t pay a motor vehicle-related fine on time.
Use the Pay a Fee for Defaulted Fines service to pay a privilege reinstatement fee.
You need to pay the privilege reinstatement fee before you can complete any Registry of Motor Vehicle services, like renewing your vehicle permit or renewing your driver’s licence.
No partial payments
You need to pay the privilege reinstatement fee in full (no partial payments).
If you don’t pay your motor vehicle-related fine in full or you have another motor vehicle-related fine that goes into default (not paid on time), you may have to pay the privilege reinstatement fee again.
You can use this service to pay a privilege reinstatement fee if you don’t have any outstanding motor vehicle-related fines in default (not paid on time).
How to pay
- Complete the payment form online.
- Include payment with your form.
- Submit your completed form and payment.
- The service emails you a payment receipt. Keep a copy for your records.
How long it takes
Your privilege reinstatement fee payment is received as soon as you submit your completed form and payment. You can also complete Registry of Motor Vehicle services as soon as your payment is received.
Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), Interac® Online, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. Make your cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on whether you pay the fee online or in person.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- master number (or driver’s licence number) associated with the motor vehicle fine that you didn’t pay on time (you can find this on the Vehicle Permit, Vehicle Certificate of Registration or the front of your driver’s licence)
- paid any outstanding fines that are in default (contact a provincial courthouse if you’re not sure what fines you owe, or to ask about removing your fines from default)
When you pay online you need to pay the fee by credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard). You can only pay by debit card online if your bank participates in Interac® Online.
If you’re unable to pay the privilege reinstatement fee online, you can pay in person at Registry of Motor Vehicles or Access Nova Scotia.