Incorporate a society
Incorporate your society by filing the required forms with Registry of Joint Stock Companies. The Society Incorporation Forms Package includes all of the forms required to incorporate a society once you’ve reserved the society’s name.
Use the Society Incorporation Forms Package to incorporate your society.
Forms in the Society Incorporation Forms Package include:
- Memorandum of Association Form
- Society Classification Form
- By-laws Form
- Notice of Directors and Officers Form
- Appointment of Recognized Agent Form
- Notice of Registered Office Form
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Who can use this form
Non-profit groups that want to incorporate as a society need to use the Society Incorporation Forms Package to incorporate.
What you need to do
- Reserve a name for your society (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the forms in the package.
- Include payment with your forms.
- Send your completed forms and payment by mail. Or drop them off at Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.
- If Registry of Joint Stock Companies approves the incorporation forms, it files them and sends you a Certificate of Incorporation.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get the Certificate of Incorporation. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your forms haven’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the forms.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your society from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- 5 subscribers (people) and a witness available to complete and sign a subscriber’s list
- name and address of a recognized agent
- director or officer available to sign the Notice of Directors and Officers Form, Appointment of Recognized Agent Form and Notice of Registered Office Form
You need to renew your society’s incorporation each year. You should get a renewal notice in the mail a month before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
Along with your renewal notice, you need to submit the following to Registry of Joint Stock Companies:
- renewal fee
- current list of directors as appointed at the society's annual general meeting
- copy of the society’s most recent financial statements