Incorporate a society
Incorporate a society by filing the required form and documents with Registry of Joint Stock Companies after you’ve reserved the society’s name.
Incorporate your society.
To incorporate a society, your filing needs to include:
- Memorandum of Association
- Society Classification
- Notice of Directors and Officers
- Appointment of Recognized Agent
- Notice of Registered Office
Registry of Joint Stock Companies can’t give you legal advice. The registry can help by describing the incorporation process and telling you what documents you need for incorporation, but it can’t help you prepare them. If you have questions about preparing incorporation documents, you should discuss this with your legal and accounting advisors.
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Who can use this form
Non-profit groups that want to incorporate as a society need to use this form to to incorporate.
What you need to do
- Reserve a name for your society (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the Society Incorporation Form online.
- Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your form.
- Submit your completed form, supporting documents and payment.
- If Registry of Joint Stock Companies approves the incorporation form, it issues a Certificate of Incorporation and Business Number.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get the Certificate of Incorporation and Business Number. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
It may take longer than usual to process your request.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the form.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your society from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- at least 5 subscribers (people) and a witness available to complete and sign a subscriber’s list
- name and address of a recognized agent
- director or officer available to sign the Notice of Directors and Officers Form, Appointment of Recognized Agent Form and Notice of Registered Office Form
When you file online you need to create an account or sign in. You also need to upload any supporting documents in PDF format, including required signatures, Memorandum of Association and By-laws.
You can use the Society Incorporation Forms Package (PDF 3.3 MB) if you’re unable to file online. Send your completed forms package, supporting documents and payment by mail. Or drop them off at Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.
You need to renew your society’s incorporation each year. You should get a renewal notice by mail or email a month before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
Along with your renewal notice, you need to submit the following to Registry of Joint Stock Companies:
- renewal fee
- current list of directors as appointed at the society's annual general meeting
- copy of the society’s most recent financial statements