Hearing Aid Dealer Permit
Apply for a Hearing Aid Dealer Permit. You need the permit if you’re a company that tests, fits and sells hearing aids and hearing aid accessories through a retail outlet or direct sales.
By law, you must have a Hearing Aid Dealer Permit if you’re a company that tests, fits and sells hearing aids and accessories through a retail outlet or direct sales.
If a company is found guilty of an offence under the Direct Sellers’ Regulation Act, it can be fined up to $10,000.
Your company needs to have a permanent place of business in Nova Scotia.
You need to apply for at least 1 Hearing Aid Salesperson Permit at the same time that you apply for the Hearing Aid Dealer Permit.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail or fax.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the permit. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
The cost to get or renew the permit is based on the licensing category and number of salespeople.
|H1 Hearing Aid or Hearing Aid Services with 1 to 10 salespeople||$150|
|H2 Hearing Aid or Hearing Aid Services with 11 or more salespeople||$500|
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque, money order. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies number
- name, address, position and date of birth for you and any partners and officers
- 3-year employment history for you and any partners and officers
- address for all branches
You need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- original copy of surety bond in the amount of $20,000
- sample of the consumer contract containing the buyer’s right to cancel
- copy of calibration certificates demonstrating the accuracy of the hearing testing equipment
- copy of product catalogue and price list
You need to renew your Hearing Aid Dealer Permit by January 31 each year. You should get a renewal package (including instructions) in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.