Get a tax refund on stolen tobacco products
Apply for a tax refund on tobacco products lost due to theft.
Use the Tobacco Tax – Theft of Tobacco Refund Application Form to get a tax refund on tobacco products lost due to theft.
You can use this form if you’re a tobacco wholesaler or retailer who has lost tobacco products due to theft.
How to apply
- Complete the refund application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or drop them off at the Business Registration Unit.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the refund. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the refund.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- file an insurance claim
- file a complaint about the theft with the local police
- check the tax rate for the stolen tobacco product
- provide invoices for tobacco purchases (invoices need to include the purchaser’s name and the seller’s name, location, HST number, date, product description and quantity sold)