Get a refund of tax paid by mistake when registering a vehicle

Apply for a refund of the provincial portion of the HST paid by mistake when registering a motor vehicle.

Use the HST Paid in Error - Refund Based on Provincial Portion of HST Form to apply for a refund on taxes paid by mistake when registering a vehicle.


You can apply for the refund if you:

  • own the vehicle
  • paid taxes by mistake when you registered your vehicle

How to apply

  1. Complete the rebate application.
  2. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  3. Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Vehicle Tax Unit.

How long it takes

It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the refund. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


There is no cost to apply for the refund.

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • copy of the bill of sale or invoice for the vehicle, showing purchase price, HST paid, name of buyer and seller, HST number of the seller, and the make, model and year of the vehicle
  • copy of Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the amount of the provincial component of the HST paid

Application form