What to do when someone passes away: obtaining benefits and closing accounts
Guidelines on what to do and who to contact about eligibility for benefits (insurance, pension and estate) and closing a deceased person’s government accounts, programs, services and benefits.
This guide provides the steps you need to take at the time of a person’s death.
- cancelling benefits
- eligibility for benefits (insurance, pension and estate)
- cancelling identity cards
- transferring or cancelling motor vehicle permits and certificates
- cancelling services and financial contracts
- cancelling memberships and virtual identities
Author: Vital Statistics
Department: Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services