Debt Management Agent Licence (for individuals)
Apply for a Debt Management Agent Licence. You need the licence if you’re employed by a debt management agency to help debtors manage their debt in Nova Scotia.
By law, you must have a Debt Management Agent Licence if you’re employed by a debt management agency to act for or deal with debtors or manage debt in Nova Scotia.
You need to be 19 or older and employed by a debt management agency to get a licence. Your employer needs to have a Debt Management Agency Licence and apply for the licence on your behalf.
How to apply
- Apply online for the licence.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Submit your completed application, supporting documents and payment.
- The Business Licensing Section notifies your employer when the licence is issued.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks for your employer to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Interac® Online, debit card.
Before you start
You may need to provide details if you have:
- had a licence refused, suspended or revoked
- been convicted of an offence and not been pardoned
You can only apply online for a Debt Management Agent Licence (for individuals) if you're also applying for a new Debt Management Agency Licence. If you already have a Debt Management Agency Licence and need a Debt Management Agent Licence (for individuals), contact the Business Licensing Section. When you apply online you need to create an account or sign in.
The debt management agency needs to renew your Debt Management Agent Licence by 30 April each year. They should get a renewal notice before the renewal date. Renewal of the individual agent is at the discretion of the debt management agency.