Change your sex indicator if you’re 16 or older
Apply to change your sex indicator if you identify with a gender that’s different from the sex shown on your Birth Registration. When you apply to change your sex indicator, you can also apply for a new Birth Certificate that shows your changed sex indicator.
Use the Change of Sex Indicator - 16 Years of Age or Older Form to change your sex indicator.
When you apply to change your sex indicator, you can also apply for a new Birth Certificate that shows your changed sex indicator.
Changing your name
If you apply to legally change your name at the same time that you apply to change your sex indicator, you need to use the Change of Name and Change of Sex Indicator Application - 16 Years of Age or Older Form (instead of using both the Change of Name Application Form and the Change of Sex Indicator - 16 Years of Age or Older Form). You also need to meet the requirements for changing your name.
You can apply if you’re 16 or older. You also need to meet 1 of the following criteria:
- you were born in Nova Scotia
- you have lived in Nova Scotia for at least 3 months immediately before applying to change your sex indicator
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents (including existing certificates that need to be returned to Vital Statistics).
- Include payment with your application if you’re not a first-time applicant.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment (if required) by mail or fax. Or contact Vital Statistics to book an appointment.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 5 months to complete the application process. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|Amendments (changes) to records with change of
sex indicator (for example, Marriage Certificate
or Domestic Partnership Certificate) for first-time applicants
|Additional amendments (changes) to records with change
of sex indicator (for example, Marriage Certificate or
Domestic Partnership Certificate)
|$24.95 for each amendment (change)|
If you need an updated certificate (for example, Marriage Certificate or Domestic Partnership Certificate) that shows your change of sex indicator, you need to pay the certificate fee for each updated certificate.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- both parents’ names and places of birth as shown on your Birth Registration
- name of spouse or domestic partner and place and date of marriage or partnership, if applicable
- written statement from you stating that you identify with the gender you request in the application
- certificates issued before the change of sex indicator