Change year-to-year lease to month-to-month lease (Form DR1)

Tenants use Form DR1 to let their landlord know they’re changing their year-to year lease to a month-to-month tenancy (lease).

Use Form DR1: Changing Year-to-Year Lease to Month-to-Month to tell your landlord that you’re changing your year-to-year tenancy (lease) to a month-to-month tenancy (lease).

Give notice

By law, you must give your landlord written notice at least 3 months before the anniversary date of the tenancy (lease) to change from a year-to-year to a month-to-month tenancy (lease). The notice needs to include:

  • date
  • your name
  • address of the residential premises where you rent
  • anniversary date the change becomes effective

If it’s a fixed-term tenancy (lease), you can only change the terms if you and your landlord make an agreement to do so. Make sure to ask for this agreement in writing.

Who can use this form

Tenants need to use this form to tell their landlord that they’re changing their year-to-year tenancy (lease) to a month-to-month tenancy (lease).

What you need to do

  1. Complete the form.
  2. Personally deliver the completed form to your landlord or send it by registered mail.

Download form

Related information