Change the name of a sole proprietorship
A sole proprietorship can change its name by filing a Name Change Form with Registry of Joint Stock Companies.
Use the Name Change Form to change the name of your sole proprietorship. Your new name needs to follow the rules for sole proprietorship names.
When your name changes
The name of your sole proprietorship changes when Registry of Joint Stock Companies registers it.
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Registry of Joint Stock Companies is currently experiencing processing delays. It may take longer than usual to process your request.
Who can use this form
Sole proprietorships need to use this form to change the name of the business.
What you need to do
- Reserve a new name for your sole proprietorship (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the Name Change Form online.
- Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your form.
- Submit your completed form, supporting documents and payment.
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies issues a Certificate of Name Change. You can use the new name once the registry issues the certificate.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get your Certificate of Name Change. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
It may take longer than usual to process your request.
|Certificate of Name Change||$37.40|
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the form.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your sole proprietorship from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- old business name and Registry ID
- sole proprietor available to sign the form
When you file online you need to create an account or sign in. You need to be an authorized filer for the business. You also need to upload any supporting documents in PDF format, including required signatures.
You can use the Change of Business Name Form (PDF 529 kB) if you’re unable to file online. Send your completed form by mail. Or visit Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.