Change the name of a partnership
A partnership can change its name by filing a Name Change Form with Registry of Joint Stock Companies.
Use the Name Change Form to change the name of your partnership. Your new name needs to follow the rules for partnership names.
When your name changes
Your partnership name changes when Registry of Joint Stock Companies registers it.
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Who can use this form
Partnerships need to use this form to change the name of the business.
What you need to do
- Reserve a new name for your partnership (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the Name Change Form online.
- Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your form.
- Submit your completed form, supporting documents and payment.
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies issues a Certificate of Name Change. You can use the new name once the registry issues the certificate.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get your Certificate of Name Change. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
|Certificate of Name Change
Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), debit card, cheque, money order, cash. Make your cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the form.
When you pay online you need to pay the fee by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard).
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your partnership from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- old business name and Registry ID
- partner, or an officer or director on behalf of a corporate partner available to sign the form
When you file online you need to create an account or sign in. You need to be an authorized filer for the business. You also need to upload any supporting documents in PDF format, including required signatures.
You can use the Change of Business Name Form (PDF 529 kB) if you’re unable to file online. Send your completed form by mail. Or visit Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.