Change the name of a company

A company can change its name by passing a special resolution and filing a Name Change Form with Registry of Joint Stock Companies.

Use the Name Change Form to change the name of your company. Your new name needs to follow the rules for company names.

Passing a special resolution

This change can only happen by special resolution. To pass a special resolution, you need to comply with the Companies Act, including notifying Registry of Joint Stock Companies that shareholders have approved a special resolution to change the name of the company.

When your name changes

The name of your company changes when Registry of Joint Stock Companies registers it.

Public record

Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.

Who can use this form

Companies need to use this form to change their name. You need to submit the form within 15 days of passing the special resolution.

What you need to do

  1. Reserve a new name for your company (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name) if you’re not changing the name to a Numbered Name.
  2. Pass a special resolution to change the name.
  3. Complete the Name Change Form online.
  4. Check the form for details on all required supporting documents.
  5. Include payment with your form.
  6. Submit your completed form, supporting documents and payment.
  7. If Registry of Joint Stock Companies approves the special resolution, it updates the registry and issues a Certificate of Name Change. You can use the new name once the registry issues the certificate.

How long it takes

It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get the Certificate of Name Change. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.


Activity Fee
Certificate of Name Change $199.35

Payment options

Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover), debit card, cheque, money order, cash. Make your cheque or money order payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the form.

When you pay online you need to pay the fee by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover, Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard).

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • approved name for your company from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
  • passed a special resolution to change the name
  • officer or director of the company available to sign the form and certify a copy of the special resolution


When you file online you need to create an account or sign in. You need to be an authorized filer for the business. You also need to upload any supporting documents in PDF format, including required signatures and Special Resolution - Name Change - Company.

Start now

Other ways to submit the form

You can use the Special Resolution Name Change and Certificate Form (PDF 468 kB) if you’re unable to file online. Send your completed form and payment by mail. Or drop them off at Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.