Cemetery and Funeral Services Salesperson Licence
Apply for a Cemetery and Funeral Services Salesperson Licence. You need the licence if you’re selling pre-arranged funeral services or merchandise on behalf of a licensed funeral home. You also need the licence if you sell pre-need cemetery plans.
By law, you must have a Cemetery and Funeral Services Salesperson Licence to sell cemetery or funeral services or merchandise as a representative of a funeral home or cemetery licensed in Nova Scotia.
You need to be 19 or older to apply. The company you represent needs to have a Prearranged Funeral Plan Sales Licence.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail or fax.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks for your employer to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque, money order. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- signature of your employer, who must be an officer (or designate) of a licensed funeral home or cemetery
- business operating name and address of your employer
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies number of your employer
- your 3-year employment history
You also need to provide details if you have:
- previously been licensed in Nova Scotia
- had a licence refused, suspended or revoked
- been involved in a personal or corporate bankruptcy
- unpaid judgments outstanding
- been convicted of an offence and not been pardoned
You need to renew your Cemetery and Funeral Services Salesperson Licence by June 30 each year. You should get a renewal package (including instructions) in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.