Apply for a refund of fuel tax paid on reserves

Apply for a fuel tax refund on fuel bought on a reserve when the amount of tax is $100 or more. Only status Indians can get this refund.

Use the Receipt Based Claim for Status Indians – Application Form to apply for a fuel tax refund for fuel bought on a reserve.


You can apply for the refund if you’re a status Indian and you’re submitting a claim for fuel bought on a reserve.

You can apply once every 12 months if the amount of tax is under $100. Or you can apply each time the amount of tax is $100 or more.

How to apply

  1. Complete the refund application.
  2. Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
  3. Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Business Refund Unit.

How long it takes

It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the refund. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.


There is no cost to apply for the refund.

Before you start

Make sure you have:

  • Nova Scotia Driver’s Licence master number
  • Certificate of Indian Status card
  • fuel invoices

The invoices need to include:

  • your name
  • the seller’s name, location and HST number
  • date
  • type of fuel
  • litres sold
  • price per litre

Application form