Apply for Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) rebate on a vehicle bought by a registered charitable organization
Apply for a rebate of up to 90% of the Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) your registered charitable organization paid on the purchase of a vehicle. You need to apply within 24 months of the date you paid the tax.
Use the NSST Rebate Application Motor Vehicles and Designated Tangible Personal Property Purchased by Charitable Organizations Form to apply for a rebate on a vehicle bought by a registered charitable organization.
The rebate is equal to the Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) paid on motor vehicles or designated tangible personal property (like trailers) by a registered charitable organization. You can get a rebate of up to 90% of the Nova Scotia Sales Tax paid.
You can apply for a rebate if your organization:
- is recognized as a charitable organization under the Income Tax Act
- provides its services to the public for free or for a token fee
- bought the vehicle
- can prove it paid Nova Scotia Sales Tax on the item
You need to apply within 24 months of the date you paid the tax.
How to apply
- Complete the rebate application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Business Registration Unit.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the rebate.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) charitable registration number
- copy of the receipt or invoice for the vehicle you bought including total purchase price, name of seller and buyer, vehicle identification number (VIN) and the make, model and year of the vehicle
- copy of Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the total Nova Scotia Sales Tax paid for the purchase of the car or truck
- receipt issued by Registry of Motor Vehicles for the purchase of vehicles like trailers