Apply for Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) rebate on the private purchase of a vehicle used for business activity
If you’re a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) registrant you can apply for a rebate of the Nova Scotia Sales Tax (NSST) you paid on the private purchase of a vehicle used for business purposes. The rebate is calculated based on the amount the vehicle is used for business purposes.
Use the NSST Rebate Application Motor Vehicles or Designated Tangible Personal Property Purchased by HST Registrant Form to apply for a tax rebate on the private purchase of a vehicle used for a business activity.
The rebate is calculated based on the amount the vehicle is used for business purposes.
You can apply for a rebate if:
- you’re an HST registrant
- you bought the vehicle
- the vehicle is for business purposes
How to apply
- Complete the rebate application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Business Registration Unit.
How long it takes
It will take 3 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the rebate.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Business Number from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- copy of the receipt or invoice for the vehicle you bought, including total purchase price, name of seller and buyer, vehicle identification number (VIN) and the make, model and year of the vehicle
- copy of the Registry of Motor Vehicles receipt showing the total Nova Scotia Sales Tax paid for the purchase of a car or truck
- receipt issued by Service Nova Scotia for the purchase of vehicles like trailers