Apply for HST rebate on materials to fix the exterior of a heritage property
Apply for a tax rebate on building materials used to repair, improve or restore the outside of a heritage property. You can’t get a rebate on metal or plastic cladding materials or the labour to do the work.
Use the Rebate Application - Heritage Property Form to apply for a tax rebate on building materials used to repair, improve or restore the outside of a heritage property. The rebate does not cover the labour to do the work.
The rebate is equal to the provincial portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) paid on approved building materials after the HST Public Service Bodies’ Rebate has been applied.
A heritage property used for non-commercial purposes or heritage properties owned and occupied by non-profit community, charitable, fraternal, educational, recreational, cultural or sporting organizations or institutions may qualify for the rebate.
You can apply if you bought approved building materials to fix the exterior of a heritage property. Only projects approved by the Heritage Property Program or a municipal heritage advisory committee before the start of work may be eligible.
How to apply
- Complete the rebate application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail. Or visit the Business Registration Unit.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 6 weeks to get the rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the rebate.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- copy of the bills of sale or invoices for the approved building materials (showing purchase price, HST paid, name of the seller and buyer, HST number of seller and description of the materials purchased)
- copy of the building permit issued for the work
- statement from a building inspector to prove you completed the work
- statement from the Heritage Property Program or municipal heritage advisory committee to prove you completed the outside repairs, improvements or restorations