Apply for a heating assistance rebate: Heating Assistance Rebate Program
The Heating Assistance Rebate Program helps low-income Nova Scotians with the cost of home heating. Rebates range from $100 to $200. You can apply until 31 March 2020.
Apply to the Heating Assistance Rebate Program for help with the cost of home heating. You can receive up to $200 if you qualify for the Heating Assistance Rebate Program.
Your rebate amount is based on your income, as reported to Canada Revenue Agency.
|Household income if you live alone||Household income if you live with kids, dependents, or other adults||Rebate|
|Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or Income Assistance||Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or Income Assistance||$200|
|$27,000 or less||$42,000 or less||$200|
|$27,001 - $27,500||$42,001 - $42,500||$175|
|$27,501 - $28,000||$42,501 - $43,000||$150|
|$28,001 - $28,500||$43,001 - $43,500||$125|
|$28,501 - $29,000||$43,501 - $44,000||$100|
To qualify for the rebate, you need to pay for your own home heat and meet 1 of the following criteria:
- have a net income of $29,000 or less and live alone with no kids or dependents
- have a combined net income of $44,000 or less and live with kids, dependents, or other adults
- receive Income Assistance from the Department of Community Services
- receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or the Allowance from Service Canada
If your personal or financial situation has changed since last year, you still may qualify. Examples of changes include becoming widowed, getting divorced or legally separated, losing your job, turning 18, recently arriving in Canada, or having the custody of your children change. Contact Service Nova Scotia to find out if you qualify.
How to apply
- Apply online for the rebate.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and any supporting documents.
- Check your application status online (if you apply online).
- If your income tax refund is direct deposited, your heating assistance rebate is too. If not, your rebate is mailed to you.
How long it takes
It should take 8 weeks to get your rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly. If additional information is required to process your rebate, we may contact you by email.
There is no cost to apply for the rebate.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- all adults on the application available to sign the form
- social insurance numbers and dates of birth of all adults in your home
You may need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- 2018 Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for you and any other adults in your home
- proof of change in marital status
- Canada Child Benefit Form
- citizenship application
- GST/HST payment information form
The Heating Assistance Rebate Program may contact you and ask you to provide a heating bill or receipt for oil, electricity, natural gas, wood, wood pellets, coal or other heating source dated between 01 January 2019 and 31 March 2020. If you don’t have a heating bill or receipt, you need to complete 1 of the following forms:
- Landlord Declaration Form if you rent and pay for your own electric heat
- Firewood Declaration Form if you harvest your own firewood to heat your home
- Wood Invoice Form if you use wood to heat your home
When you apply online you need to upload any supporting documents. You can do this by scanning the documents or taking pictures of them. You also need to provide the signatures of all adults in the application.
You can use the Heating Assistance Rebate Application Form if you’re unable to apply online. Send your completed application (both sides of the application) and any supporting documents by mail or fax. If you’d like to receive a paper application by mail, contact us.
- Check the status of your heating assistance rebate application: Heating Assistance Rebate Program
- Firewood Declaration Form: Heating Assistance Rebate Program
- Heating Assistance Rebate Program fact sheet: translations
- Landlord Declaration Form: Heating Assistance Rebate Program
- Wood Invoice Form: Heating Assistance Rebate Program