Apply for a hearing with the Nova Scotia Building Advisory Committee
You can apply for a hearing with the Nova Scotia Building Advisory Committee (NSBAC) if you disagree with the requirements of the Building Code, sufficiency of compliance with the code or an order from a building official.
Use the Nova Scotia Building Advisory Committee Hearing Application Form if you’re a building owner or their agent and you disagree with a decision from a building official.
Building owners or their agents can apply for a hearing. An agent needs to be authorized by the building owner to speak on their behalf.
How to apply
- Complete the application form and the List of Exhibits for a Hearing Form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application, List of Exhibits for a Hearing Form and supporting documents by mail, email or fax. Or drop them off at the Office of the Fire Marshal.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 5 days to receive confirmation that your application has been received. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly. A hearing is scheduled when your application is approved.
There is no cost to apply for the hearing.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- written order or decision by the building official
- written explanation of the subject of the appeal
- completed List of Exhibits for a Hearing Form