Ticket Lottery Permit: raffles with prizes under $4,000
Apply for a Ticket Lottery Permit. Charities, religious organizations and non-profit community organizations need the permit to run a ticket raffle with total prizes valued at under $4,000.
By law, charities, religious organizations and non-profit community organizations must have a Ticket Lottery Permit to run a ticket lottery with total prizes valued at under $4,000.
The raffle can be a single ticket draw or a series of draws. For a single draw, the permit is valid until the draw date. For a series of draws, the permit is valid for a set period of time (normally no longer than 1 year).
With a Ticket Lottery Permit, you don't need to submit a Ticket Lottery Report for raffles with prizes under $4,000.
You need to be 19 or older and authorized by the charitable, religious or non-profit community organization to apply.
When sports teams apply for a Ticket Lottery Permit for prizes under $4,000, the age of the team members has to be 21 or younger.
You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before the first day of ticket sales.
How to apply
- Apply online for the permit.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and supporting documents.
- You may also need to complete an interview and provide additional information if asked by the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the permit. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the permit.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- provide a copy of the games list and house rules
- provide confirmation from the charity if you’re a non-charitable group raising money for a charity
- get the application signed by the principal if from a school, or a coach or team manager if from a sports team
First-time applicants may also need to provide a copy of:
- Certificate of Registration
- memorandum of association
- list of executives and positions held
You can’t renew your Ticket Lottery Permit, but you can apply for a new one.
You can use the Application for Lottery Permit for Prizes Not Exceeding $4,000 in Value Form (PDF 109 kB) if you’re unable to apply online. Send your completed application and supporting documents by mail, email or fax. Or visit the Alcohol, Gaming, Fuel and Tobacco Division.