Prearranged Funeral Plan Sales Company Licence
Apply for a Prearranged Funeral Plan Sales Company Licence. You need the licence if you’re a company that sells pre-arranged funeral plans to the public. Companies include funeral homes and crematoriums.
By law, you must have a Prearranged Funeral Plan Sales Company Licence if you’re a company that sells pre-arranged funeral plans to the public.
You need to have a surety bond in the amount of $5,000 to $20,000 depending on the amount of pre-arranged funeral plans sold.
|Number of plans||Bond amount|
|1 to 30 plans||$5,000|
|31 to 60 plans||$10,000|
|61 to 90 plans||$15,000|
|91 or more plans||$20,000|
Your company needs to have a Funeral Home or Crematorium Licence to apply.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Include payment with your application.
- Send your completed application, supporting documents and payment by mail or fax.
How long it takes
It should take 2 weeks to get the licence. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, cheque, money order. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you apply.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- Registry of Joint Stock Companies number
- name, address, position, and date of birth for you and any partners and officers
- 3-year employment history for you and any partners and officers
- name and address of the financial institution where your trust account is held
You also need to provide details if you or any partner, officer or director has:
- had a licence refused, suspended or revoked
- been involved in a personal or corporate bankruptcy
- unpaid judgments outstanding
- been convicted of an offence and not been pardoned
You need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- original copy of surety bond
- copy of the pre-paid funeral deposit trust agreement held at a Canadian bank, trust company or credit union where the trust money will be held
- samples of the pre-need or pre-arranged purchase agreements for the sale funeral goods and services
You need to renew your Prearranged Funeral Plan Sales Company Licence by 30 June each year. You should get a renewal notice in the mail before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.