Incorporate a for-profit co-operative
Incorporate your for-profit co-operative by filing Articles of Incorporation and by-laws with Registry of Joint Stock Companies.
Use the Articles of Incorporation and By-laws for a For-profit Co-operative Form to incorporate your for-profit co-operative.
Information you file with Registry of Joint Stock Companies is available to the public.
Who can use this form
For-profit co-operatives need to use this form to incorporate.
What you need to do
- Reserve a name for your co-operative (Registry of Joint Stock Companies needs to approve name).
- Complete the form.
- Include payment with your form.
- Send your completed form and payment by mail. Or drop them off at Registry of Joint Stock Companies or Access Nova Scotia.
- If the Inspector of Co-operatives approves the incorporation form, they file it with Registry of Joint Stock Companies and send you a Certificate of Incorporation.
How long it takes
It should take 1 to 2 weeks to get the Certificate of Incorporation. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, debit card, cheque, money order, cash. A cheque or money order should be made payable to the Minister of Finance. Payment options may vary depending on how you submit the form.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- approved name for your co-operative from Registry of Joint Stock Companies
- Articles of Incorporation and by-laws for your for-profit co-operative
- at least 3 people (includes individuals and companies) or 2 co-operative associations (called subscribers) available to complete and sign the form in the presence of a witness
- witness available to sign the form
You need to renew your co-operative’s incorporation each year. You should get a renewal notice in the mail a month before the renewal date. It’s your responsibility to renew on time.
Along with your renewal notice, you need to submit the following to Registry of Joint Stock Companies:
- renewal fee
- copy of the co-operative’s most recent financial statements