Department of Municipal Affairs: About us
What we do
The Department of Municipal Affairs provides programs, grants and funding to municipalities and community groups. The department provides services and guidance to municipalities, towns and villages in many areas including safety and security, budget planning and finance, and policy and program development. We also help municipalities across the province govern and provide municipal services in times of emergency and are responsible for the Emergency Management Office and the Office of the Fire Marshal.
- supporting municipalities in providing effective local governance and planning healthy communities
- providing funding for municipalities
- reporting municipal statistics and financial conditions
- overseeing municipal and Conseil scolaire acadien elections
- supporting economic development through Regional Enterprise Networks
Who we are
The Department of Municipal Affairs has more than 80 staff working in municipal services, the Emergency Management Office and the Office of the Fire Marshal. Most staff work in Halifax or in our Emergency Management Office in Dartmouth.
From 2018 to 2019, our priorities are:
- setting future direction for the province and municipalities through a partnership agreement
- continuing to develop a model for the Regional Enterprise Networks
- leading governance and structural reform with municipalities
- supporting new infrastructure programs that address local priorities
- enhancing land use planning to support economic development