Enroll in the Health and Dental Plan or make changes to the status of your plan
Apply to enroll in the Health and Dental Plan or make changes to the status of your plan. This includes adding or deleting dependents from your plan.
Use the Application for Employee Group Health and Dental Benefits Form to enroll in the Health and Dental Plan or to add or delete eligible dependents from your plan. Eligible employees are automatically enrolled with single coverage on hire.
You need this form to:
- change the coverage to or from family coverage to single coverage
- add or remove an eligible spouse or dependent
- re-enroll in the plan if you provided proof of comparable coverage and previously opted out of the plan
Eligible employees of the Government of Nova Scotia and participating member employers can apply to enroll in the Health and Dental Plan or make changes to the status of their plan.
Eligible employees include:
- civil service employees (excluding seasonal employees who work less than 6 months, casual and temporary relief employees and all other temporary employees)
- Order in Council and ministerial appointees
- members of the Executive Council
- Members of the Legislative Assembly
- members of NSGEU Civil Service Bargaining Unit Employees
- members of the Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1867 – Nova Scotia Highway Worker’s Union
To be eligible for all benefits under this plan, an employee needs to work at least 40% of the full-time hours.
How to apply
- Complete the application form.
- Send your completed application by email, mail or fax.
How long it takes
Changes to your coverage are effective from the date the Benefits Unit receives your request. It should take Medavie Blue Cross 3 to 4 days to update your coverage. You’ll receive a new Blue Cross identification card at your home address 2 to 3 weeks from the date you submitted your request. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your form hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply, but there are premiums associated with participating in the group health and dental plan.
For employees actively at work, payment of premiums is made by payroll deduction. For employees on an approved leave and eligible to continue benefits, payment is required in full and in advance of the leave by postdated cheques or money order.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- employee identification number
- reviewed and understood the information on eligible dependents or additional approvals required for dependents (for example, disabled dependents or grandchildren)
- information on any other insurer if you or your dependents have other coverage under any other insurer
You can use the Application for Employee Group Health Benefits Form to apply for coverage and request to add or delete eligible dependents through Employee Self Service (ESS). If you’d like to receive a paper application by mail, contact the Benefits Unit.
- Apply for health and dental coverage for an over age dependent child
- Benefits for government employees
- Blue Advantage Savings (discount program) - Medavie Blue Cross
- Health and Dental Plan Contract
- Health and Dental Plan costs: government employees and retirees
- Medavie Blue Cross
- Special Dependent Questionnaire - Medavie Blue Cross
- Submit a claim to Medavie Blue Cross