End of a tenancy: rights and responsibilities of landlords

Landlords have certain rights and responsibilities at the end of a tenancy (lease). You can only end a tenancy if you have proper cause. You need to give your tenant notice in writing, using the correct form. Landlords need to serve the notice in person or send it by registered mail.

At the end of a tenancy, landlords have certain rights and responsibilities. These guidelines include information on tenants and landlords giving notice to quit, notice periods, early termination, security deposits and abandoned property.


Tenant’s notice to quit: leave at end of lease term

Tenants use Form C: Tenant’s Notice to Quit to end a tenancy at the end of the lease term.

Tenant’s notice to quit: early termination of tenancy (lease)

Tenants use Form G: Tenant’s Notice to Quit - Early Termination of Tenancy to end their tenancy (lease) early if they have a significant deterioration of health or they’ve been accepted into a nursing home.

A tenant’s personal representative uses Form I: Tenant’s Notice to Quit - Early Termination of Tenancy by Personal Representative to end a tenancy (lease) early if the only tenant living in a rental unit dies.

Tenant’s notice to quit: early termination of tenancy (lease) due to cannabis rules

Tenants use Tenant’s Notice to Quit - Early Termination of Tenancy Due to Cannabis Rules Form to end their tenancy (lease) early if they want to move out because the landlord has changed the rules to restrict smoking or growing recreational cannabis in the rental.


Landlord's notice to quit

You use Form D: Landlord’s Notice to Quit for Rental Arrears to give tenants notice to quit when the tenants have failed to pay rent and the landlord wants to end the tenancy (lease).

You use Form E: Landlord’s Notice to Quit - Breach of Statutory Condition to give tenants notice to quit if the tenants have breached a statutory condition (failed to follow the rules in the lease on the condition of the unit or the tenant’s behaviour).

You use Form DR2: Landlord’s Notice to Quit - Purchaser to Occupy Residential Premises (Sale of Residential Premises) to give tenants Notice to Quit if you sold the property and the new owner or family members want to move in.

Security deposits

At the end of the tenancy (lease), you should inspect the premises for damage. You can expect a certain amount of wear and tear during a tenancy (lease). You can’t claim this wear and tear as damage.

If you want to keep part or all of the security deposit to pay for damages, you need to be prepared to defend your decision. To do this, you can get the tenant's written permission at the time of the inspection. You need to return all or some of the security deposit within 10 days of the last day of the tenancy (lease).

If the tenant does not give you written consent to keep all or part of the deposit, you need to complete Form J: Application to Director within 10 days of the end of the tenancy (lease). You need to serve the tenant with this application in person or by registered mail.

Abandoned property

Use Form A: Inventory of Tenant’s Abandoned Personal Property to make a list of all the items tenants leave behind. The list needs to be complete, but does not have to be detailed. For example, if there is a box of magazines, it is enough to state that. It is not necessary to list each magazine.

If you feel the items are unsafe or unsanitary, you can get rid of them. If you think the tenants have left the items by mistake, you need to try to contact them before getting rid of the items.

If the items are valuable (together worth over $500), you need to store them for 60 days. You can charge tenants the cost of moving and storing the items if the tenants return later to claim them.

Submit Form A to Residential Tenancies and send a copy to the tenant. After 60 days, you can ask for permission to sell any items that have value using the process in the regulations.