New municipal councillors guide
Areas of municipal responsibility and your role and responsibilities as a newly elected municipal councillor.
This guide provides supplementary information to any training a new municipal councillor may receive from their own municipality, the Department of Municipal Affairs and the Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities.
- introduction to municipal government
- role of provincial and federal governments and legislative framework
- areas of municipal responsibility
- roles and responsibilities
- municipal powers
- council business and meetings
- conflicts of interest
- communication and engagement with the public
- financial management
- best practices
- relevant legislation
Department: Municipal Affairs