Apply to receive financial assistance to help cover expenses during apprenticeship technical training
You can apply to receive financial assistance to help cover expenses during technical training that you need to complete as part of your apprenticeship. You can apply before or after your technical training starts.
Apply to receive financial assistance for expenses like travel, childcare, accommodations and books. Financial assistance only covers expenses related to your technical training. Financial assistance doesn’t cover tuition costs.
To apply for financial assistance, you need to meet all of the following criteria:
- you’re a registered apprentice with the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency
- your apprenticeship is full-time
- you’re a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who is allowed to work in Canada
- you’re a resident of Nova Scotia
- you meet the Labour Market Development Agreement (LMDA) eligibility requirements
To meet the Labour Market Development Agreement eligibility requirements, you need to meet 1 of the following criteria:
- you have an Employment Insurance (EI) claim
- you had an EI claim that ended within the previous 60 months
- you received EI benefits under the Canada Emergency Response Benefit within the previous 60 months
- you earned $2,000 or more in at least 5 of the last 10 years
You can apply before or after the start date of your technical training.
If you apply after the start date of your technical training, it needs to be before the end date of your training.
How to apply
- Apply online.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and supporting documents.
How long it takes
It should take 1 week for Employment Nova Scotia to let you know that they’ve received your application and are reviewing it. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply.
Before you start
Make sure you:
- are enrolled in technical training
- know what costs you’ll have during your technical training
- complete a Childcare Service Expense Sheet (PDF) if you’re requesting financial assistance for childcare expenses
When you apply online you need to create an account or sign in. You may also need to upload any supporting documents.
You can contact Employment Nova Scotia if you’re unable to apply online.