Apply for help with household costs: Seniors Care Grant
The Seniors Care Grant helps low-income seniors with the cost of household services (like lawn care, snow removal, grocery delivery, transportation and small home repairs). Grants are up to $500 for each household. You can apply until 31 May 2022.
Apply for the Seniors Care Grant to help with the cost of household services. Your household can receive up to $500 if you qualify for the Seniors Care Grant.
Your grant amount is based on the cost of your household services, up to a maximum of $500.
Eligible household services
Eligible household services include services that help you stay in your home including:
- cooking and meal preparation (excluding the cost of groceries)
- driveway maintenance (like paving and regrading)
- grocery delivery (excluding the cost of groceries)
- house cleaning
- laundry (excluding dry cleaning)
- lawn care and landscaping
- medication and prescription delivery (excluding the cost of medications and prescriptions)
- small home repairs (like windows, doors, roof, plumbing, electrical, decks, fencing, siding, painting and heating)
- snow removal
- transportation (like taxis, ride shares, shuttles and other methods of transportation that pick you up directly from your home to travel to essential services)
Help with your application
The Seniors Care Grant can help you with the application process. They can also answer questions about proof of income, home ownership or lease agreement, and receipts for household services.
Keep a copy of your household services receipts for your records. You only need to provide receipts if the Seniors Care Grant contacts you and asks you to provide receipts.
Acceptable receipts include a:
- receipt on a piece of paper or in a notebook (written or signed by the service provider)
- receipt in a receipt book (written or signed by the service provider)
- receipt from a business
Receipts need to include:
- name of the person receiving the service
- type of service received
- cost of the service
- date of the service
- name and address of the person or business providing the service
To qualify for the grant, you need to be 65 or older by 31 May 2022 and meet all of the following criteria:
- have a household net income of $37,500 or less
- live independently in your home (you’re not living with a caregiver, other than a spouse or partner)
- own a home (your name is on the property title) or have a residential lease agreement with your name on it
- have paid for household services between 1 January 2021 and 30 November 2022
You can only apply once per household. You need to apply by 31 May 2022.
How to apply
- Apply online for the grant.
- Submit your completed application.
- If your application is approved, your reimbursement cheque is mailed to you.
How long it takes
It should take 8 weeks to get your reimbursement cheque. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly. If more information is required to process your grant, we may contact you by email.
There is no cost to apply for the grant.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- all adults on the application available to sign the form
- social insurance numbers and dates of birth of all adults in your home
- total amount spent (or that you will spend) on household services between 1 January 2021 and 30 November 2022
The Seniors Care Grant may contact you and ask you to provide proof of income, home ownership or lease agreement and receipts for household services. If you need to provide proof of home ownership or lease agreement, you can use a property tax bill, property assessment notice, mortgage statement, Land Titles Initiative certificate of claim, utility bill that shows your home address or a residential lease agreement with your name on it.
When you apply online you need an email address. The Seniors Care Grant emails you if it needs more information to process your grant.
You can use the Seniors Care Grant Application Form (PDF 182 kB) if you’re unable to apply online. Send your completed application (both sides of the application) and any supporting documents by mail or fax. If you want to receive a paper application by mail, contact us.