Apply for funding to develop beautiful areas in a municipality: Beautification and Streetscaping Program
Municipalities can apply for funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program to develop beautiful areas that attract tourists to the municipality. You can apply from 01 April to 01 June 2020.
Apply for funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program to develop beautiful areas that attract tourists to your municipality.
You need to use the funding to beautify, improve or maintain property that the municipality owns or leases. Or the funding needs to be used to pay grants to an organization for beautifying a business district.
The Beautification and Streetscaping Program may fund up to 50% of eligible project costs to a maximum of $25,000. The applicant or other sources needs to fund the balance of the project.
Eligible project costs
Eligible project costs include:
- beautification fixtures like baskets, banners, benches, bike racks, waste receptacles, planters and flowers
- planting shrubs and trees
- building façades
- kiosks and other amenities directed at a tourism audience
- beautification and streetscaping plans
- contracted labour (non-staff)
- professional services
Ineligible project costs include buying land, buying equipment for project construction, operating costs, marketing plans and initiatives, ongoing maintenance costs and administration.
If you receive funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program, you need to submit a Beautification and Streetscaping Program Final Report within 30 days of completing the project.
The Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing may ask that you return any funding you didn't spend and any funding that was spent on items that weren't part of the project. You also need to return the funding if you cancel the project.
Only municipalities can apply for funding. Villages and community groups can partner with their municipality on a joint application. The application needs to demonstrate the project’s potential to increase tourism revenues. Total eligible project costs need to be at least $20,000 to be considered.
Your municipality needs to have filed all reporting for any other municipal, provincial or federal funding programs from the previous year with the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
You need to apply for funding by 01 June 2020. Only money spent on project costs between the date of your application and 31 March 2021 are eligible for funding.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Beautification and Streetscaping Program Guidelines.
- Starting 01 April 2020, apply online for the funding.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and supporting documents.
- Check your application status in the Grants Management System.
How long it takes
It should take 3 to 6 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It will then take an additional 3 to 6 weeks to receive the funding. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding, but you need matching funding (from 1 or more sources) to fund the balance of the project.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- provided any relevant studies to support the project
- provided current pictures that show the “before” state of the project
- partnered with your municipality if you’re a village or community group
When you apply online you need to know your Grants Management System username and password. You get these from the chief administrative officer (CAO) or clerk of your municipality. Or contact the Beautification and Streetscaping Program.
Once you sign in to your Grants Management System account, you also need to upload any required supporting documents. You can do this by scanning the documents or taking pictures of them.