Apply for funding to develop beautiful areas in a municipality: Beautification and Streetscaping Program
Municipalities can apply for funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program to develop beautiful areas that attract tourists to the municipality. You can apply until 12 May 2022.
Apply for funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program to develop beautiful areas that attract tourists to your municipality.
You need to use the funding to beautify, improve or maintain property that the municipality owns or leases. Or the funding needs to be used to pay grants to an organization for beautifying a business district.
The Beautification and Streetscaping Program may fund up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $25,000. The applicant or other sources need to fund the remaining balance of the project.
Eligible costs include:
- beautification fixtures like baskets, banners, benches, bike racks, waste receptacles, planters and flowers
- planting shrubs and trees
- building façades
- kiosks and other amenities directed at a tourism audience
- beautification and streetscaping plans
- contracted labour (non-staff)
- professional services
Ineligible costs include:
- buying land
- buying equipment for project construction
- operating costs
- marketing plans and initiatives
- ongoing maintenance costs and administration
If you receive funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program, you need to submit a Project Closeout Report and Statement of Funding Expenditures (with proof of payment) within 30 days of completing the project.
Accessing the funding
You receive up to 50% of the funding at the start of the project. You receive the remaining funding once the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing approves your Project Closeout Report and Statement of Funding Expenditures.
The Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing may ask that you return any funding you didn't spend and any funding that was spent on items that weren't part of the project. You also need to return the funding if you cancel the project.
Only municipalities can apply for funding. Villages and community groups can partner with their municipality on a joint application.
The application needs to demonstrate the project’s potential to increase tourism revenues. Total eligible costs need to be at least $20,000 to be considered.
Your municipality needs to have filed all Project Closeout Reports for any previous Beautification and Streetscaping Program projects with the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
You need to apply for funding by 12 May 2022. Only money spent on costs between the date of your approval and 31 March 2023 is eligible for funding.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Beautification and Streetscaping Program Guidelines.
- Apply online for the funding.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and supporting documents.
- Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
- Check your application status in the Grants Management System.
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding, but you need matching funding (from 1 or more sources) to fund the balance of the project.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- provided any relevant studies to support the project
- provided current pictures that show the “before” state of the project
- partnered with your municipality if you’re a village or community group
When you apply online you need to know your Grants Management System username and password. You get these from the chief administrative officer (CAO) or clerk of your municipality. Or contact the Beautification and Streetscaping Program.
Once you sign in to your Grants Management System account, you also need to upload any required supporting documents.