Apply for funding to develop beautiful areas in a municipality: Beautification and Streetscaping Program
Municipalities can apply for funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program to develop beautiful areas that encourage economic development and attract tourists to the municipality. You can apply until 7 June 2023.
Use the Beautification and Streetscaping Program Application Form to apply for funding to develop beautiful areas that encourage economic development and attract tourists to your municipality.
You need to use the funding to beautify, improve or maintain property that the municipality owns or leases. Or the funding needs to be used to pay grants to an organization for beautifying a business district.
The Beautification and Streetscaping Program may fund up to 50% of eligible costs to a maximum of $25,000. The applicant or other sources need to fund the remaining balance of the project.
Eligible costs include:
- beautification fixtures like baskets, banners, benches, bike racks, waste receptacles, planters and flowers
- planting shrubs and trees
- building façades
- kiosks and other amenities directed at a tourism audience
- beautification and streetscaping plans
- contracted labour (non-staff)
- professional services
Ineligible costs include:
- buying land
- buying equipment for project construction
- operating costs
- in-kind contributions
- marketing plans and initiatives
- ongoing maintenance costs and administration
If you receive funding from the Beautification and Streetscaping Program, you need to submit a Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures (with proof of payment) within 60 days of completing the project.
Accessing the funding
You receive up to 50% of the funding at the start of the project. You receive the remaining funding once the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing approves your Project Closeout Report and Statement of Expenditures.
The Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing may ask that you return any funding you didn't spend and any funding that was spent on items that weren't part of the project. You also need to return the funding if you cancel the project.
Only municipalities can apply for funding. Villages and community groups can partner with their municipality on a joint application.
The application needs to demonstrate the project’s potential to increase economic development or promote tourism. Total eligible costs need to be at least $20,000 to be considered.
You need to apply for funding by 7 June 2023. Only money spent on costs between 1 April 2023 and 31 March 2024 is eligible for funding.
How to apply
- Review detailed program criteria in the Beautification and Streetscaping Program Guidelines.
- Complete the application form.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents by email.
- Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing reviews your application after the submission deadline (this can take 6 to 8 weeks).
How long it takes
It should take 6 to 8 weeks for the Department of Municipal Affairs and Housing to review your funding application and let you know if your funding application is approved. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly.
There is no cost to apply for the funding, but you need matching funding (from 1 or more sources) to fund the balance of the project.
Before you start
Make sure you have partnered with your municipality if you’re a village or community group.
Applications are closed.