Register your accommodations marketing platform
Accommodations marketing platforms (like Expedia and Airbnb) need to register with the Tourist Accommodations Registry if they facilitate the rental of tourist accommodations in Nova Scotia.
By law, accommodations marketing platforms must register if they facilitate the rental of tourist accommodations for 28 days or less in Nova Scotia.
Platform operators facilitate or broker online reservations for tourist rental of roofed accommodations. They get paid when a traveller makes a reservation.
A tourist accommodation is a roofed accommodation that hosts or operators rent to travellers for 28 days or less. You can have 1 or more rental units within a tourist accommodation.
Types of tourist accommodations
Examples of tourist accommodations include:
- apartments, condos or houses
- bed and breakfasts
- cottages, cabins or tiny homes
- rooms (for example, suites, dormitory-style rooms or rooms in a tourist home) and hostels
- unusual lodgings (for example, yurts, domes or camping trailers)
You can be fined up to $7,500 for each year you’re not registered.
Accommodations marketing platforms need to register if they facilitate the rental of tourist accommodations in Nova Scotia.
You need to register your accommodations marketing platform before you list tourist accommodations in Nova Scotia on the platform.
If you have more than 1 accommodations marketing platform, you need to register separately for each platform (each platform needs a separate registration and gets a separate registration number).
An authorized agent or representative of the accommodations marketing platform needs to complete the registration.
How to register
- Register online.
- Include payment with your registration.
- Submit your completed registration and payment.
- The Tourist Accommodations Registry emails you a receipt and registration number. Keep a copy for your records.
How long it takes
You get your registration number right away.
Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Interac® Online.
Before you start
Make sure you have:
- website address of your accommodations marketing platform
- authorized agent or representative of the platform available to complete the form
When you register online you need to pay the fee by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) or Interac® Online.
You can’t renew your accommodations marketing platform registration, but you do need to register by 1 April each year. You should get a reminder notice by email. It’s your responsibility to register on time.