Melissa MacKinnon was appointed Associate Deputy Minister of the Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage in August 2021.
Melissa has a background in communications and community development. She was Associate Deputy Minister of Communications Nova Scotia and held communications roles in several departments, including the Department of Health and Wellness, Department of Finance and Treasury Board and Executive Council Office. She was also Director of Communications and Community Relations for the Halifax 2011 Canada Games.
Melissa is a community volunteer and coaches sports. She’s also served as a board member for a number of community organizations, including the Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Halifax and the Canada Games Centre. She has a Bachelor of Public Relations from Mount Saint Vincent University and is completing her Master of Adult Education (Community Development) from St. Francis Xavier University.
Associate Deputy Minister, Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage
The Associate Deputy Minister of the Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage helps manage day-to-day operations for the department and its offices. They also carry out government policies and implement decisions made by the deputy minister and minister.
- developing cultural and tourism partnerships with communities throughout the province
- overseeing priorities of the department, including equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility
- working with partners and federal, provincial and municipal government to support the cultural and tourism sectors
- helping the department meet its mandate
- providing advice to the minister and deputy minister
- Associate Deputy Minister, Department of Communities, Culture and Heritage
- Associate Deputy Minister, Communications Nova Scotia
- Managing Director, Corporate Communications, Communications Nova Scotia
- Director, Communications and Community Relations, Halifax 2011 Canada Games
- variety of communications roles at the Department of Health, Department of Finance and Treasury Board and Executive Council Office